Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When It's All On The Line

Father’s Day has always been special to me. Since the death of my father it has become bittersweet. I am so thankful for the 25 years I had with him. My dad was my whole world and the one who always showed me unconditional love no matter what the circumstance. Thinking of my father only brings back good memories.

I think it would be important to add that my dad, no matter what I think about him, was not perfect. He had faults because he was human. Fatherhood is not about being a perfect father. There is no such thing. My dad was just perfect for me. I would love for each dad to always remember that you are going to make mistakes, but it is how you handle those mistakes that matters. It is never too late to say you are sorry, to start making a difference, or to simply “show up”. Love keeps no record of wrong. I have kept no record of any faults my dad may have had. They are forgotten by the love he always showed me and the fact that he was never too proud to say he was sorry.

For others, Father’s Day is just a reminder of the father you never knew or don’t have a relationship with. It can be a time of heartbreak. My prayers are with you. I urge you to celebrate Father’s Day with your heavenly father. The one who will never leave you nor forsake you. The one who gave His life for you. He loves you that much and He can fill any void that you may have.

So how can you be a better father? What are you going to do today that will bring blessings for future generations? Pastor Scott has already given you a couple ways:

1. Lay up the Word of God in your heart. Check the spiritual climate in your home. What are you going to start doing today to lay up blessings for your children?

2. Leave an inheritance. What inheritance are you leaving your family? This is not just about money. Will you leave an inheritance of the knowledge of the Lord so that your future generations will serve God?

3. Watch for the pick off. Are you watching for the pick off? If the Bible tells us that Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy are we on the lookout for these things? It shouldn’t come as a surprise to us. We need to be prepared.

I hope that every dad had a wonderful Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment