Friday, May 8, 2009

Hope for Your Finances

Well it just figures that I miss the Sunday where M&M’s were handed out! Seriously though, what a great message with awesome testimonies. Truly there is nothing too difficult for my God.

I certainly will not add to what Pastor Scott said as I am no expert. I will encourage anyone who has not made the commitment to give to start today. God is waiting to show you what He can do with so little. It is more than what He can do for you with the 90% you have left. It is about what can be accomplished for His kingdom even though He asks for so little.

I often wonder how my tithe will serve the kingdom from week to week. Will my 10% and missions money make it possible to bring someone to the Lord, or clothe and feed someone, make it possible for someone to have a Bible, or travel around the world to help someone I don’t know and will never meet about the love of Jesus Christ? I have heard some compare tithing to paying the electricity bill. I would say to them, “Would you want to go without electricity in your own home for one day?”, so why should the church go without it? The fact is if that is all my tithe went to it would be worth it. With the power of electricity our church can have the lights on to invite people in, and the sound works so people can hear us praise in the streets. We provide a cool place in the summer and a warm place in the winter for a couple of hours to those who would otherwise not have an escape.

I also want to offer encouragement to those who are faithful in giving yet may be struggling right now in your finances. We have all heard the story of Job, but I am also encouraged by the story of the woman in 2 Kings. Her story begins in chapter 4, but I will write about what happened to her in chapter 8. The Lord called a famine in Israel and Elisha told the woman to take her family and move to another country. When the famine ended 7 years later the king gave her land back to her plus the value of any crops harvested during her absence. The king ordered that everything she lost be restored to her. How many of us long to have our finances restored by the Lord?

I myself cling to this story. I am reminded that the Lord doesn’t just “make things better”. He restores. He gives what doesn’t seem possible. Do not forget His faithfulness to you in the past. Do not forget what He has already done in your life. I have to remind myself that if the Lord never blessed me again, if He never answered another prayer, He is still worthy of all my praise for everything He has already given me and everything He has delivered me from. This place is not my home.

But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired. Isaiah 40:31 (Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment