Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Marriage That Works

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about being in church with my husband. I was all smiles and school girl giddy this past Sunday. I had been waiting all week for the vow renewal. I was just as excited as on my wedding day. On my wedding day I wasn't nervous at all. I remember thinking, "How am I going to get through my own wedding without crying?" In reality I didn't cry at all. I was smiling and laughing just like I was on Sunday. I was also just as anxious to kiss Mark on Sunday as I was 12 years ago! Although this time was much easier without my dad looking on.

I think the reason I experienced such excitement (and still do) was that Mark has always shown me the Agape love that Pastor Scott talked about. Mark was my best friend, but we never dated. When we met I was not serving the Lord and I was not a nice person to put it mildly. Mark loved me anyway and saw past all my faults. Literally at the time he fell in love with me my family struggled to like me. They always loved me because I was family, but because of my actions I can't blame them for not liking me. Only two men in my life have loved me like this, my dad and my husband.

This kind of love can only come from the Lord. He is Love. When you love others with Agape love you are being Jesus in the flesh to them. When you love someone unconditionally you are showing them God does the same. When I gave my life back to the Lord I received His forgiveness because that is the example my dad had shown me all my life. It has been said that the relationship you have with your earthly father can shape the relationship you have with your heavenly father. For example, if you feel like your earthly father only loved you when you did something he approved of then you will feel the same about God. You will see God as someone who loves you with conditions. This is totally wrong.

When we get married it is "for better or worse". When we accept Jesus as our personal savior we become part of the bride of Christ. Jesus already made the decision to you and I to love us "for better or worse" on the cross. When we accept Him we are making the same commitment back. Not that God could ever be worse, but that no matter our situation we make the commitment to love, honor, serve, and obey Him, for better or worse, for richer or poor, in sickness and in health until death or His return.

God has an Agape love for you. A love that is unconditional, a love that waits for you no matter how often you have rejected Him, a love that nailed Him to the cross for you. Whether you are married or not you need God's Agape love and you need to show it to others. Many of us can remember a time in our lives when someone showed us this kind of love though we did nothing to deserve it.

  • Is there someone in your life right now you are struggling to love without conditions?
  • Do you know someone who could be transformed by this kind of love?
  • Does your husband, wife, mother, father, son, daughter, etc. know that your love is totally unconditional because God's love for them is the same?
  • What greater gift could you give someone than telling them of God's love and how you love them the same?


Melissa - Mid Week Minder Team

No comments:

Post a Comment