Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fireproof Your Marriage - Part 1

We talked about submitting to our spouses and God this past Sunday.  It is important to remember that submitting is not a bad word.  We have turned submission into a one way street and many see submitting as being weak.  I can recall being in a family members wedding (over 10 years ago) and the person performing the ceremony asked what vows they wanted to use, to which they replied “Is there more than one option?”  There was an option that we all were shocked at.  The “pastor” said that most women were requesting to take out the part of the vows where we agree to “obey” our husbands.  This is a definite problem.

Have you been submitting to your spouse this week?  More importantly are submitting to God?  Have you been lining yourself up under your spouse and God?  Have you given up any rights this week to submit to your loved one?  Are you showing your husband respect or your wife love?  Showing respect and love can be easy or it can be very difficult.  It is easy when you ask the other person how they receive love or respect.  It is very difficult when you guess how they should respond to your respect or love.  Take the easy route and ask!

I remember so much confusion when I first got married.  I thought I was being very respectful, and he thought I was very disrespectful.  The problem is that I was showing my husband the respect I showed my own father.  Although both men in my life deserved and required respect from me, they wanted it in very different ways.  If I would have simply asked my husband how I could show him respect I could have saved myself a lot of frustration.

Maybe you aren’t married.  This series still applies to you.  We all have to submit to God.  We must all learn to submit to God’s will.  There will come a time in every believer’s life that God will ask you to submit to His will.  God may ask you to do something that is completely foreign to you, that is bigger than you think you can handle, or makes completely no sense to you.  At this point you will need to submit to the One who knows exactly where you are, what you are going through, and has a plan for your life.

Submitting can be hard at first, especially if someone has taken advantage of you in the past.  Know that God loves you and will never hurt you.  When you submit to the will of God you will be at peace.  When you submit to your spouse you will get the love and respect that you need.  What rights will you give up this week to show your loved one and God that you are ready to submit?  

2 comments:

  1. While going through The Truth Project we discussed submission and how the world has distorted its meaning. When you consider the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, each is completely submitted to the other, and we don't think of that as a bad thing. But as soon as we say "Wives, submit to your husband," suddenly it is a dirty word.

    As stated in this mid-week moment, submitting is scary for those who have been hurt, but you can start practicing submission, as unto God, out of respect for your spouse and for the benefit of your marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think its good to submit to our wives ,but can be very challenging to do. but this is a interesting topic,chris a church memeber..

    ReplyDelete